Thursday, September 1, 2011

To Disinfect or Not to Disinfect

I have reviewed several articles about the pros and cons of disinfecting the house.  My conclusion goes right back to common sense.  If I have cut meat on the counter top or the juice has spilled on the counter from the cutting board I will disinfect the area.  If the flu or cold goes through my house I will disinfect the light switches and surfaces that have been touched a lot.  I do not believe in disinfecting on a routine basis, simply because we destroy good bacteria as well as bad.  We also begin to weaken our own immune systems and promote the growth of killer bugs (bacteria).  Not to mention that most disinfectants are truly toxic to not only the germs but to us as well.  With all of this in mind I have found a wonderful smelling natural product to do the disinfecting that I actually do. This product kills 99.9 percent of bacteria and viruses on hard nonporous surfaces.The product uses concentrated citric acid and thyme oil. The remaining ingredients are unclear and I will call to find out what they are.  Because of the citric acid  ( it comes from lemons)  this product can be irritating to the skin and eyes.  It is also not recommended for natural stone or marble.  So the fad now is for granite counter tops and I guess that is a form of stone so it is not recommended for that surface-  I will call up and find out why again.  I like the smell, I like the non residue on the counter.  I believe it works.  So I do recommend this product.
     I just got off the phone with my friend, Amy and  she has the info that I was looking for. My question above concerned "the remaining ingredients" The ingredients are not listed but they are 100% food grade, which tells me that there should not be anything to be concerned about.  So the ingredients are citric acid, thyme oil and 100 % food grade ingredients.  Once again safe around pets, children, and the household cleaner, Me.  We also discussed stone counter tops and she said that we can use another product for those surfaces-  I will order that one to try out as well.  In a nut shell this disinfectant is  nice smelling, non toxic, that works and is not harmful.