Saturday, April 9, 2011

Caring for Elderly Parents

My Mom is getting to that age of being frail and unable to truly live alone.  She has broken  her hip, her wrist and her knee.  She has Lupus, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, and now she is being tested for Alzheimer's.  I do not believe she has the disease I think she sits alone in her home with the TV and does not engage her brain.  Her best friend says that she will repeat the same stories over and over.  She does that with me as well.  My issue is that she is only 66 years old.  She was a spry vibrant woman until she turned 60.  Then her health deteriorated.  My issue now is that she lives in Texas and I in Colorado.  I dearly want her to live with me and my family until we can no longer care for her.  I made a promise to her years ago that if she ever had Alzheimer's or dementia  when the time came I would put her into a nursing home.  I do not wish to do that in Texas.  I believe she can have a valuable, interested life here with us and if  the time comes  put her in a home near by so we can visit and make sure she is being well cared for.  How do you uproot a parent from every thing they know and basically force them to move 1600 miles to a new community and a new life?

No comments:

Post a Comment