Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Our Relationship with Junk Mail

I finally announced to the world my loathing for junk mail via Facebook.  I get infuriated every time I open my mailbox and all this unsolicited junk mail falls out.  I realize that our nation is run by advertising and that we are slowly losing our souls to the next purchase.  But I don't know about you, I am overwhelmed with the responsibility of all that paper and what to do with it.    The idea that we are supposed to become a paperless society due to the wonderful invention of computer technology is rubbish.  It boggles my mind when I see how much paper is wasted through junk mail.  I am tempted to put a year’s worth of junk mail into a bag to see exactly how much we actually get.  But I am a borderline hoarder so I probably won't-yet. What would happen if I actually took the time to sort out the junk mail and save it for a year then spend my money sending it back to each  company showing how much money they waste.  They probably could care less as a company, but the mail room might get a little grumbly if say 100 of us did that.  I understand that I am not alone.  Artist, Annette Lawrence made her junk mail into art.  She strips junk mail into two inch strips, then stacks them on top of each other and binds them.  Each stack is one month's worth of junk mail.  The Dallas Museum of Art bought her Month of December.( article by Kate Weidow at  www.KXAN.com )
Junk mail art









This is definitely an art piece with much to say and has more value than the fliers themselves.  There is a Do Not Mail campaign on the internet.  From what I can tell it is not full proof and it takes a lot of effort from us.  So if you are ever bored or tired of playing video games and you want to be pro-active in the junk mail pandemic, check out some of the internet sites such as: www.DirectMail.com . 

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by



designbydavidson.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment