Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Memories From the Past- Where Else Would They Come From?

The question often comes up," if you could do high school or college again would you?"  I have often answered a resounding Hell No!  But in retrospect I guess I would.  I had an awful lot of fun in high school and college. I got in an awful lot of trouble in high school and college as well.  I have just recently reconnected with one of my friends from my first attempt at college.  I guess we were 18 or 19 years old. It's funny how memories from that long ago paint the people in two dimensions.  Intellectually, I know those friends are full, vibrant people living happy lives out there somewhere in the world.  I had a lot of fun with them.  But my knowledge of them is only for this one time period.  Therefore, they are painted in two dimensions in my mind, simply photographs in an album.  They also remain forever 18 or 19 in my brain.  I on the other hand have aged, put on weight and gained an amazing road map on my face made of wrinkles.  I have earned every single one of them. No worries, I could care less.  I am happier now in my life than I have ever been.  I have 2 wonderful daughters, a great husband, and my art career is finally doing something other than decorating my walls. I am 11 months from turning 50 and life is good.
Back to my long lost friend.  Apparently it was I who was long lost. He had looked for me from time to time to see if I had actually survived my twenties. ( there were times that was doubtful)  He also has 2 wonderful daughters, a great wife and is happy.  So now his two dimensional life has filled out and become alive in the present.  It warms my heart that he is well and thriving.  I reached out and said hello to the past and it was all right.  It did not bite me as I probably deserved, it simply had grown up.   I guess we all do despite what we do to ourselves.  Thanks Philip for the hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment