Sunday, July 24, 2011

Craft, Crafts, Crafting- Hobby or a Business?

I have been knitting, crocheting, painting, and glass work for years now.  I sell a few pieces once in a while but I have not pushed it.  My children both are going to be in school full time now so I am deciding whether to work for someone else or really push my hand craft business.  I am looking at all my options.  Does any one have any ideas on how to approach this the best way?  I am trying to stay home and have a home based business without working for a "boss"

2 comments:

  1. I have found that the best way to start out is to do some craft shows. The fall ones are the best because that is when people buy for the Holidays. You can get lots of ideas at these shows from other vendors, too--like how they display their products, see which ones sell the most and what is selling. Some vendors sit there all day and don't sell anything. That tells me not to make what they are selling :) Etsy is good, also. I have also started selling on Three Sisters Marketplace. I have sold 2 items on there. They take 20% if you sell something, but it does not cost anything to list items. And they are not as big as Etsy---yet. Hope this all helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say as risky as the job market is the investment in yourself and own biz is far far better. ~ You will never work harder but who will be better to work for than YOU!!! :)

    ReplyDelete