Monday, July 25, 2011

Where Does Your Inspiration Come From?

Creating new and interesting things with both form and function is such a unique talent that humans have.  As a species we seem to be very driven to create.  Why is that I wonder?  What inspires us?  What is the driving force to make something new or something pretty?  Is it the same inner voice that makes a person climb Mt. Everest?  I know I lie awake at night with dreams of things that I am inspired to make.  Not for any one in particular but because it is in my head and it dearly needs and wants to get out.  I dream of building,painting, stringing,punching, knitting, crocheting and writing.  I find an object that has been cast away and immediately start to rebuild, remake or find another  purpose for it.  My home studio is filled with these items being re-purposed or waiting quietly in the back ground until an idea hits me.I am an avid believer in recycle, re-purpose and reuse.   My grandfather was the same way and so was my mother, before her arthritis kicked in and her eyesight went bad.  I have to believe that this is an imprint in our genetic code that pushes us forward with these needs.
The following statement is from Wikipedia under creativity:

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/CreativityDeclining creativity?

Creativity as measured by the Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking increased until 1990. An effect similar to the Flynn effect. Thereafter scores have been declining. Possible explanations include increased TV watching and video game playing.[41]

This scares me.  Without creativity, our future is no longer secure.  We will not have those bright thinkers to solve the worlds problems.  So my fellow creators, go out and create,create, create!  

2 comments:

  1. I get inspired by the things I see daily… but it's really neat to look at the world through other people's eyes and minds, b/c it's this view that is new & different from my own which will give me a fresh perspective. I love that you re-purpose btw!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nelou, I am inspired by shapes and color. I love looking at the way things work and how people react to it.

    ReplyDelete